expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, March 24, 2014

Five Places to Shop on a Budget by: Sherri Scott, Interior Designer


                                                            Five Places to Shop on a Budget


Sometimes I have a bit of a problem cracking open the wallet and making a purchase, sometimes!  I blame my mother, really.  Like most mothers her first priority was her children and she spent money on us before she spent it on herself or something for the home.  And I have unfortunately inherited that trait.  I find myself in the store just thinking it over forever, sometimes leaving and coming back (hello, because sometimes with the little ones they leave very little time for thinking something over, am I right?).  Anyway, it really can annoying! So here are a few places to shop on a budget for the mass population.


1.      Target  Now this should be NO surprise to anyone.  Target has everything.  They have a lot of bold patterns in drapes and rugs.  Great picture frames, vases, artwork, lamps and furniture.  I love the look industrial look of these stools and the turquoise console table has been calling my name.  I do find sometimes the quality can be a bit lacking but for the most part there are some good finds.



2.      Home Goods  I checked out the store locater and saw that there is not a Home Goods listed within 100 miles of Davenport.  Total disappointment.  Home Goods is a sister store of TJ Max.  They are filled with seasonal items, frames, kitchen, bath, furniture, artwork, lamps (love the lamps), bedding….and really so much more.  They also have a kid’s section with room décor, toys and books which is a must hit if you have kids.  They have decent quality chairs for kids very similar to the Pottery Barn Anywhere Chair.  This is a must hit if you are on a budget but looking for a change up or even updating your mantel for the new season.


3.      Hobby Lobby  I first went to Hobby Lobby during college for supplies for my design boards.  That store is HUGE.  My girls love going there and picking out a new craft to work on.  The last time I was there I fell in love with an apothecary type dresser that was distressed and had the alphabet on it.  (complete fail and didn’t take a picture) It would look awesome in a little boy’s room.   They also have some fun table clocks (pictured) and metal art that would add a little something to your simple gallery wall.  KNOBS (pictured)….tons and tons of dresser knobs or pulls that you can get to easily change up your dressers.   I bought some for my daughter’s room and will share in a future post of her nursery. 





4.      Etsy Is an ecommerce site that sells vintage items and just about anything that someone has made.  I have purchased subway art (similar to the picture below from Word Whipped) and stuffed animals for my girls on the site.  You may have to be patient and do some searching but it is an awesome site and can hook you for hours.  You can also find creative seasonal items or craft starter DIY items such as felt cutouts for garland.  Check it out.



5.      World Market  Is also a unique place to shop with a very ethnic and eclectic vibe to it.  They have curtains, rugs, furniture, wall art and more.  They also have a small food and beverage section in case you need a snack.


A few honorable mentions would include Joss and Main (a members only site with daily deals), JoAnn Fabrics and let’s not forget GARAGE SALES or estate sales.  You can find a lot of vintage furniture items and bring new life to them at garage sales.   These are just a few big box places to shop but I love love love to find a gem in my neighborhood to support the local talent and business owners.  It is the best way to find something unique that not everyone else will have.  So when possible, shop locally.  What are some of your favorite places to shop?

No comments:

Post a Comment